Photobucket
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Saturday, July 24, 2010

cupcakes

We hadn't baked in awhile and in Tanzania it was one of Neema's favorite things to do: help me pour, stir, sift...so I got out the aprons and decided to whip up some funfetti cupcakes!! After being such a great helper, I told Neema she could have one when she woke up from her nap because they needed to cook....surprisingly she slept for so long that day I finally went in there to check on her. I peeled back the covers and her bright eyes peeled open....barely awake she said, "may I have cupcake?" yes yes yes! of course!! I was so excited to plop her on the counter and let her ice and sprinkle the biggest one in the pan. I watched in such delight as she devoured it getting icing all over her face.
About 20 minutes later and then 30 minutes later and then 45 minutes later she kept asking for another cupcake. Every time I would say, "No Neema, you have already had your cupcake today, you may have another tomorrow." And every time she would just sort of pout and express her disappointment. I found this to be really frustrating. Here I am thinking we did something really fun and I have given her this treat and she is not appreciating it, she only wants more and more and more. It made me never want to make cupcakes again, because what was suppose to be special and fun was turning into greediness and fussyness. I did not like it.
Then it had me thinking how so many people receive things such as gifts or opportunities from their parents (and believe me I have definitely been one of these people) but instead of appreciating what they have been given, they simply take it for granted or want more or something else. We just can't be satisfied. We used to talk about this a lot when I worked for Young Life. It is so hard to really 'capture' the attention of teenagers these days because there just isn't much they have not seen. (at least in our area of Atlanta) Materialistically so many of them have everything it seems. But its never enough. We always want more.
Bigger yet, what must God think? In light of His abundant amount of blessings, I am still longing for more all the time. Am I even thankful? Why would He give me anymore of anything? I am incredibly humbled by his patience, mercy, and grace for me. Where I am like, "I'm NEVER making cupcakes again!!!" I know that when its me who is insatiable instead of throwing his hands up and checking out, my God just loves and blesses me anyway. That is AMAZING.

Photo credit to Brian Skaggs who recently returned from one of my all time favorite places in the world: ZIMBABWE. How Great is our God...not only rich in mercy and love but the creator of all things.Matthew 6: 25-34
25"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his lifeb]">[b]?

28"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.




1 comment: