Photobucket
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Sunday, August 7, 2011

I did not know this until Friday but I have 2 friends who have been pursuing a homeless man in Atlanta for over a year. This man stands on the corner off of a busy exit downtown and I would venture to guess that many of you have maybe even seen him. They have invited him to church several times and he never accepted, but they have been able to convince him to join them for lunch a few times. They have developed a relationship with this dear man and last week he took them up on their offer to take him to church. Christin and I had a bachelorette party this weekend and because we carpooled together, she asked me if I wanted to come to breakfast and church with her, her husband, and their friend Johnny. What a blessing it was. We picked him up at 9am at the exit and he was so excited to see their car. He had his bicycle and so we pulled over and let him put it in the car. He also had his Bible and the biggest smile. He told us that he was so excited about church and he had decided that even if Sandor and Christin didn't come get him, he was going anyway. (Many people from Kairos know him as he stands at the exit where so many people come from) He told us he had been talking to God all week about finally coming and how he was going to take a chance and trust him. You see, Sundays are a busy day at "work" for people like Johnny, because there are more people around on the weekends and maybe he can get more handouts. But this is not the life Johnny wants. He wants a job, he wants to contribute to society, and he wants friends. Johnny is God's child and longs to be loved. And let me tell you something....he is. I could not believe how many people recognized him at church and came by and stopped and talked to him. I will also say that Johnny knows the Lord. He talked about him all morning. When it was time to take up the offering, he pulled out all the change in his pocket and put it in the basket. Here is this man that sits on the corner rain or shine and has to ask people for money for food, but still gives what he has to God. It was powerful. This is the story that came to mind....

Mark 12: 41-44

Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a few cents.

Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on.”

Do we trust Jesus? This is a question that I find to be asking myself ALL THE TIME. One of the reasons I love Africa so much is because of the blind faith that I witness on a daily basis. These hearts that are so eager for Jesus is refreshing and humbling. But there is also struggle and injustice. And praying is not enough. These people who are sick, poor, hungry, they know Jesus. He is with them. What they need is love, dignity, and sometimes a helping hand. Today at church, I learned that several people have spoken to Johnny about his skills, one guy has helped him make a resume, another guy has been searching for employment opportunities for him. People love him. And today I hope he felt that. And I hope it might open doors to welcome more of our many brothers and sisters around downtown Atlanta who need that love and encouragement. I hope we can be a community who says 'we want to stand with you. you matter.'

Neema was not at church with me this morning, so tonight before bed I told her a little about my time with Johnny. We thanked God for him, we praised Him because we hope and believe that good things are on the horizon for Johnny and that a new day is coming where he will not wonder where his next meal is coming from, or if he will have a safe place to sleep. We humbly asked that God would remove invisible barriers that we all have against people who are different than we are and asked for eyes to see each other as he sees us. All poor. All lost. All in desperate need of a Savior.

At the end of the prayer, Neema said, "I want to give Johnny all the money in my piggy bank."

Lord, help me have a heart like Johnny and Neema's - heart full of faith and generosity. Eyes to see to see you for who you REALLY are.

No comments:

Post a Comment